This vegetarian moussaka recipe is a real favourite in my family. It is far lower in fat than a traditional moussaka and even my two year old daughter loves it.
It may look like it has a lot of steps but it's very easy to make. It also freezes really well for up to three months.
In fact I often make it in individual portions and freeze them. Use individual casserole dishes or disposable foil dishes for this. This vegetarian moussaka should give you four to five portions depending on how generous you are feeling.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6.
2. Toss the aubergine (eggplant) in a roasting tin with the olive oil and some seasoning. Roast for about 20 minutes until very soft. If you prefer you can cook the aubergine in a pan. I just find that it's easier to throw it in the oven, especially as the oven is on to cook the moussaka anyway.
1. Fry the onion in a large saucepan till soft. Add the garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir for a minute.
1. This is my quick method for white sauce. Put the milk in a microwave-safe jug and heat for about 3 minutes in
the microwave until very hot.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pot or saucepan over a medium heat.
3. Stir in the flour. Cook for a minute, stirring constantly with a whisk.
4. Slowly add in the hot milk, whisking all the time. Keep whisking until thick. This should only take about 1-2 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat. Add the nutmeg and some seasoning.
When the white sauce is cooked, stir in the yoghurt.
1. Pour the lentil sauce into a large casserole dish or into
individual casserole dishes. Arrange the aubergine pieces on top of
each. Pour over the white sauce then sprinkle with cheese. (Note: You
can freeze now if you like. Just make sure the vegetarian
moussaka is completely cool. When you are ready to cook,
defrost overnight and then follow step 6)
2. Bake for 30-40 minutes or, if you are cooking individual portions, about 20-25 minutes. Serve with a green salad.
Some herbed roast potatoes are also really good on the side. Take a look at my vegetable side dish recipes for some ideas.