This sunflower seed recipe combines sunflower seeds and hazelnuts to make delicious moist burgers that are perfect for indoor cooking or the barbeque.
150g/5oz sunflower seeds (about 1½ cups)
150g/5oz hazelnuts (about 1½ cups)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1½ soy sauce
3 tablespoons of tahini (sesame paste)
1½ dried thyme
sunflower oil for frying (or canola or peanut oil)
1. Coarsely grind the sunflower seeds and hazelnuts in a food processor.
2. Transfer to a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
3. Next, shape the mixture into burgers. You should get about 8 burgers from this vegan recipe. The best way to shape the burgers is to take roughly 1/8 of the mix for each burger, roll into a ball between your palms and then flatten slightly to form a burger shape.
4. Heat a thin layer of sunflower oil in a pan or skillet and fry the burgers for a few minutes on each side.
5. If you are cooking the burgers on the barbeque, brush with oil first and barbeque as normal.
I particularly like these burgers served with a fruity sauce like Yellow Pepper and Mango Relish but they are good served with all of the traditional burger accompaniments.