lemon potatoes are full of flavour and are very simple to
make. For this dish, you can use any type of
potatoes. I was always told that new potatoes shouldn't be roasted but
I've happily broken this rule and have found
that they work really well for this recipe.
firm-ish baby potatoes would be the only type of new potatoes you
should use. Large floury varieties will fall apart.
If you want to play safe, use an 'old' Winter variety. These quantities will
serve four people as a side dish.
800g/ l1b 12 oz potatoes
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Grated rind of 1 lemon (or about 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper
¼ teaspoon of coarse salt (or to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunks about 2.5cm/1 inch in
them in a large mixing bowl. (If you are using baby new
just scrub them and half them unless they are very small.)
3. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon rind, rosemary, thyme, salt
in a small bowl or jug. Pour over the potatoes and stir well
4. Now toss the potatoes into a large roasting dish or oven tray.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.