I call this halloumi recipe Halloumi Kebabs with Chilli and Lime. It really makes a fantastic vegetarian barbeque recipe.
Halloumi cheese is a great ingredient for the barbeque because it holds its texture and shape when cooked. The cheese is naturally quite salty so the lime is a perfect partner for it. This recipe will make four kebabs.
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
juice of two limes
4 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
2 fresh red chillis, finely chopped (vary this to suit your taste)
Ingredients for the kebabs:
500g/1lb 1 oz halloumi, cut into cubes
1 red pepper, cut into cubes
1 yellow pepper, cut into cubes
8 small mushrooms
8 shallots, peeled or 2 small red onions, peeled and quartered
1. First make the marinade by mixing all of the ingredients together.
2. Next put all of the kebab ingredients into a large bowl. Pour over the marinade and stir well to mix.
3. Cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour. It will taste even better if you leave it overnight.
4. When you are ready to cook the kebabs, thread the vegetables on to 4 skewers, alternating between halloumi, peppers, mushrooms and shallots or onions.
5. Cook the kebabs over the barbeque, brushing them with the remaining marinade as they cook.
If you enjoyed this halloumi recipe, why not take a look at some more of my vegetarian barbeque recipes?