recipe (garbanzo bean recipe) is called Spinach and Chickpea Bake.
It combines spinach, yoghurt and
tomatoes to create an unusual yet delicious family meal. A
and baked potato make a nice accompaniment.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
300g/10oz of dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked overnight and
cooked - or 3 400g/14oz tins
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon paprika plus some extra for garnish
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 400g/14oz tin of chopped tomatoes, drained and juice retained
150g/5oz spinach (fresh or frozen)
250mls/1 cup plain yoghurt
125g grated cheddar cheese (or any similar grated cheese)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6
2. Gently fry the onion in olive oil until soft. Add the oregano, cumin
and paprika and cook for a minute.
3. Add the drained tomatoes and chopped spinach along with 1/2 of the
cooked chickpeas. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Blend half of the yoghurt with the tomato juice and 1/2 of the
cooked chickpeas. Add the mixture to the pot, stir in the
grated cheese, some salt and pepper and mix well. Remove from
the heat immediately.
5. Pour the mixture into a large casserole dish or divide between 6
individual ovenproof dishes. Pour a little yoghurt over and
sprinkle with a little paprika. Bake the chickpea and spinach
bake for 20
minutes and serve.