Carrot Soup Recipe: Simple And Tasty.
This is a great carrot soup recipe
and a real crowd
Bunches of organic carrots
sounds obvious but when
you are making carrot soup at home, it will only be as good as the
use. I always try to use the
freshest I can
find, home grown or from a farmers' market if possible and always organic.
If you are buying from the supermarket and you
don't usually buy organic, I think this is the time to make an exception.
900g/2 pounds of carrots (about 6 cups, diced or 4 large carrots)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 large white onions, roughly chopped
3 teaspoons of coriander seeds, roughly crushed
2 tablespoons of split red lentils
1 litre/1¾ pints/4 cups of vegetable stock
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
salt and pepper
1.There's no need to peel the carrots. Just scrub
them well and chop them into large chunks.
2. Pour the olive oil into a large heavy pot or
saucepan and heat over a low temperature.
3. Very, very gently saute the onions and carrots with the lid on for
about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. This
stage of the soup is crucial so don't rush it. Cooking the
vegetables nice and slowly draws out their juices and ensures
your soup is full of flavour. A good heavy based pot will
this process too. If you have one, a good cast iron pot is
worth using for soup.
4. When the carrots and onions are softened, stir in the
crushed coriander seeds and cook for a minute or two.
5. Pour in the stock and lentils, bring to a simmer and cook
gently for 15-20 minutes.
6. Puree the carrot soup using a food processor or hand blender. Return to the pot and stir in the fresh coriander (cilantro).
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This carrot soup recipe will serve 4-6 people. It's delicious served with warm soda bread.