This carrot ginger soup recipe is a keeper. It’s very simple but the wonderful colour, texture and warm spice make it something really special.
1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil
2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
900g/2 pounds of carrots (about 6 cups, diced or 4 large carrots)
300g/1½ oz/1½ cups of potatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
1400mls/2½ pints/6 cups of water
Salt and pepper
1. Scrub the carrots well and chop them into large chunks.
2. In a large, heavy based pot or saucepan, heat the butter or oil over a medium heat.
3. Add the onion and fry gently for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the carrots, potatoes and ginger. Stir well then cover and lower the heat.
Leave the vegetables to cook very gently for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from sticking.
5. Add the water, turn up the heat to bring to the boil then simmer gently for 15 minutes or so until the vegetables are cooked. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
6. Use a hand blender or food processor to whizz your carrot ginger soup to a nice smooth texture.
And enjoy. This recipe will give you 6 generous servings.